Cynthia "The View's" Next New Host?

This blog is about Cynthia and her journey to become the newest co-host on "The View"

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

My Day at "The View"
(this is a work in progress... more to come)

Post Tape for "The View" March 5th, 2007

I finally made it! After months of waiting for a golden ticket, my husband (such a good man) and I flew up to NYC Saturday morning (6:30am- ugh!) for a quick trip and a date with Rosie and the ladies of "The View."

The only plans we had made (other than attending Monday's post-tape for "The View") were to have dinner with one of my husband's lawyer friends on Saturday night and enjoy some time away cell phones and computers.

When we arrived at LaGuardia we didn't take the standard yellow cab to our hotel. Instead, our suitcases were scurried along quickly to a big, black, shiny car driven by a fast speaking, well heeled man with an interesting accent. It's amazing what doors a gorgeous, albeit borrowed mink coat will open. That said, it was nice to have a driver who knew the city and could speak English. After a few minutes of courteously exchanging to/from information, our driver surprised us with some very thoughtful and thought provoking conversation.

He was originally from Israel and known rather notoriously in the local community as a stubborn non-practicing Jew from the Holy Land. And though he was proud of his Israeli heritage, he felt very strongly that we should all be Americans first and take care of our own. He came to America 20 years ago so his daughter could receive the medical care she needed for a rare condition. He and his family made America their home.

As our scenic drive continued to our hotel, we enjoyed a lively banter on topics including America's need for nationalism, his gun toting Texas sister-in-law, Hillary Clinton's brass balls, and how you never ask for a doggie bag at a Russian restaurant. When we arrived at the hotel and said our goodbyes and I gave him a good ole' Southern hug.

Saturday night: Jazz at Lincoln Center. Apparently this is one of those really cool things that touristas don't know about. Our hosts for the evening have lived in the City for decades and truly take full advantage of incredible arts and entertainment offerings. On this night, they took us to the Time Warner Center where there is this little jazz club called Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola. What a jewel! The room is an acoustic and visual treat. We had a fantastic view of the NYC skyline (including the lunar eclipse) and since the club is small, every seat is prime. Not your smokey bar with unidentifiable sticky substances gluing your feet to the floor, but a real classy place with a simple menu at not-so-New York prices. Live jazz, fabulous view, good eats.

Sunday: After waking up late and indulging in a very big breakfast, we headed back to the hotel to leisurely read the New York Times and plan our day. Reading the New York Times (especially Sunday's edition) paints a different world from my little Pensacola. In NYC, there is a protest against foie gras and people trying to sell their multimillion dollar condos are losing their rights to have "Open Houses" because of problematic and unsavory elevator traffic.

With afternoon approaching, we decided it was time to do our recon mission and head down to the ABC studios to scope things out. We grabbed a cab and held on for our wild ride with Mr. Toad-hussainavich. Of course this is a Sunday afternoon, so we didn't expect the place to be open, but as we peered into the thick glass doors, there sat my new friend Ashanti (ABC studio security guard). Ashanti had been working at ABC for about 5 months and had met some really cool people. I gave her one of my "Send Cynthia to The View" cards (and some extras to pass out to her friends and Barbara Walters), told her that I wanted to be the next new host on "The View" and that we were going to the taping on Monday. She cheerily offered her "good luck" and said that she would look for us tomorrow.

Monday morning we got up, packed our bags and headed out for bagels and coffee. We arranged for the hotel to hold our bags and we Yellow-cabbed it to "The View".

As per our instruction sheet, we arrived at 11am to take our place in the already long line OUTSIDE the ABC building. Picture a couple hundred shiverring women (most in great coats) with blue lips patiently waiting in line,. It looked like a depression era soup line for well coiffed women. Thank God (or at least DeeDee) for the use of her fabulous mink coat. I not only looked "Viewish", but the full-length furry armor protected my Southernmost exposure and kept my spirits high.

While in line, we struck up a conversation with a couple of the other ladies in line. When they asked why we came all the way from Florida (in this cold!) just to see the show, I flashed my special "Send Cynthia to The View" 4-color, Kinko cards (with vanity shot) and explained that I wanted to become the next new host on "The View". They were tickled and supportive, so I figured this was my opportunity to share the love with everyone else in line.

It didn't take long and I handed out over a 100 cards with my Blog info on it. I cheerfully told everyone that I had a local TV show in Florida and that while no one from "The View" had called me to co-host (so far), my hat was officially in the ring. Most of the ladies in line were very interested in my mission and wished me luck. There were even a few who asked for extra cards.

As I worked my way back to my original spot in line, a uniformed security guard came up to me and said in an authoritative voice "Hey, you left some of your cards at the front desk yesterday, didn't you?". (Ooops, I sheepishly grinned at him...I'd been caught.) "Yeah, I thought that was you," he continued, "I recognized you from your picture. You can't be doing that young lady. You got to clear that through HR before you can leave anything at the desk."

What could I say but,"Gee, I'm sorry. I didn't know. Next time I'll be sure to contact HR and get an okay. You just tell me who to talk to and I'd be happy to do it." At this point in my life anyone who calls me "young lady" gets my utmost cooperation. Besides that I would actually LOVE to talk to someone in HR! Maybe I need to fill out a job application...At that he softened up a bit and let me know that I was on the door list and could go on into the lobby. I waved to all my new friends, grabbed my husband and felt like Dorothy skipping down the yellow brick road.

Inside the door, at the front desk was our friend Ashanti (from Sunday's excursion). We exchanged smiles, greetings and proceeded to the next holding area... which had heat and a TV tuned to the current show that was airing live.

The studio was smaller than I thought it would be. We had great seats... 3rd row. When I finally show the actual show , there was video proof that I was there. The bottom of my boot is caught on film (I really need to have it re-soled) wiggling and kicking right next to the featured expert's head. She was actually sitting a couple of rows in front of us, but my foot was in the aisle, and camera angles can make things look weird. I couldn't help but giggle as I watched my foot do it's usual tap and wiggle on national TV.

Barbara wasn't there, Linda Dano guest hosted. The topic for the day was "Depression".... not exactly a really fun show, but Rosie did amuse everyone when she jumped into a yoga swing (never heard of this before) and inverted herself.

I even got to ask Rosie a question. She appears to be a very intense person. I had a great time. Joy was smaller than I thought she would be...a couple ladies behind me even commented on how sexy they thought she was. Elizabeth was tiny, cute as a button and did not seem at ease. My husband said someone should feed her. There was a bird-like lady who hovers over Rosie during the breaks arranging various strands of hair.

After the show, as we were leaving, my new friends (the security guards) asked me if I enjoyed the show. I said I had a great time, but they didn't ask me to stay and co-host. One of the guards said "that ain't right, you'll have to come back". We all had a good laugh and I hope someday I'll get to go again.

THEN,

Tuesday morning, I got on the IMDb board for "The View" and relayed my experience to the other loyal Viewsters. Even got a post from someone who was at the same taping. Then I go to Rosie's BLOG and make a comment...I kind of forget about it and then a post pops up on the IMDb board that I'M ON ROSIE'S BLOG!. This is too wild so I check it out and YES! What a thrill . Within 48 hours I went to the Show, shared my experience on the Board, went on Rosie's BLOG and got a "Thanks Cyn" from the Ro herself! Jeez which I had bought a lottery ticket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

2006 American Heart Walk! If you have a loved one who has suffered from heart disease, please take a minute and visit the website below. Thank you! Cynthia www.heartwalk.kintera.org/2006northwestfl